Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Yarn Along 19

I'm joining Ginny from Small Things again in her weekly Yarn Along and well, it's been a while...
I hope you're all doing well! I can't believe it's May already, really - I just can't! What's up with time lately? I'm not even that busy and still, time just runs by and all I can do is stand there, look at the calendar and ask myself if I just overslept for several solid months.

At the moment I'm mainly focusing (knittingwise) on a new cardigan in a fingering weight yarn. It's "Bendir" from Verena Knitting, 2011 Spring issue and I loved it at first sight. I'm knitting this lovely little cardigan with yarn I'm pretty much in love with. It's a 50% cotton 50% merino blend and soooo soft. The colour is a light lavender, depending on the light it sometimes looks even light grey with a tiny hint of purple - definitely gorgeous! The pattern calls for prism beads all over the cardigan. I figured it would be highly uncomfortable to have rather big beads on the back part, for example when you sit back in a chair and have those beads poke you in the back. At first I wanted to just add beads on the front parts but in the end I decided to let go of the whole bead idea altogether.
It's a whole lot of stockinette at first, then you sew the parts together and pick up stitches all around the hem and knit a lacy border. This will be a lovely piece for summer days and I hope to get it done in time.

As for the reading part: I'm still reading "Drums of Autumn" but it's going rather slowly at the moment. I needed something familiar to read in between and pulled the first Harry Potter book from the shelf. I have this routine of reading all of the HP books over and over again in a loop, reading the whole series through and then start at book one again. It's been several months since I put the last book back on the shelf and I was starting to miss the wizarding world a lot. So here it goes again, right from the start =)

In case any of you wondered, I finished my Cotton Candy Bobbles Cardigan. Still have to take decent pictures though. It's so hard to do it myself so I'll try to get Sebastian to do it sometime this week. I tried to snap good pictures myself in front of every mirror in the house but only got crappy results. Some people really rock this technique but not me...

Please head over to Ginny's for excellent inspiration!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a ambitious knitting project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love knittng in fingering weight and the color you are using is just beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing more of it and with beads, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started the Abigail cardigan in fingering weight yarn, I'm feeling like I might be a little in over my head!! It's beautiful but progress is not exactly fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cardigan - and yay for Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cardigan! I love to knit in fingering weight yarn and this one looks particularly beautiful.

    I had a little bit of a chuckle about how time is running by for you. The Mister and I had a "fight" recently about how time flies so much faster for him. I strongly suspect this is a German thing as my in-laws have it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Beads on the back would not be comfortable. Gorgeous color and I am eager to see the results. My son rereads the first 4 books of HP continually.

    ReplyDelete