Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Yarn Along 16

It's Wednesday and I'm joining Ginny in her Yarn Along, why don't you join her and us all, too? Come on, it's fun!
I'm knitting another decorative star for my godmother and switched the colours so that red is now the main colour or the background colour if you will. I think I'm getting better at the colourwork, or maybe it's just wishful thinking - I'm not quite sure yet.
The first star is finished and despite some uneven stitches I'm happy with how it turned out. But I felt like something was missing somehow and after some pondering I came to the conclusion that it was the center of the star that was bothering me. So I added a red button on each side to make it look more "finished". Now I'm really happy with it! I sewed the buttons on nice and tight so that they create a dent in the center of the star. Without the buttons the middle part looked very puffed up, although I used only a very small amount of filling. And of course I take every opportunity to sew buttons on anything, I just love buttons =)
I also have something new to read for you this week: "The Subtle Knife" by Philip Pullman, which is the second book in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. I finished "Northern Lights" and was simply blown away by the book. It's so original and ingenious, emotional, gripping and just wonderful in every single detail. The way the bond between humans and their animalform daemons is described made me cry several times. I'm so looking forward to what the second book will bring, I've only read a few pages yet. Is there anything as exciting as a new, fresh book? When I love a book I often read it more than once and you notice a lot more details when you read it for the second or third time. The first time I often rush through the book, greedily devouring the story. But even if I miss a thing here and there, the first time is the most intense and exciting. Thank God for people with such a powerful imagination and the gift of writing it down for others to enjoy, such as Mr. Pullman!

9 comments:

  1. Der Stern ist super schoen geworden! Gefaellt mit richtig gut. Ich wuensche euch einen schoenen und besinnlichen ersten Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your added touch really does make a huge difference--it was pretty, now it's spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The star looks amazing, great job! Love what you did in the middle too :)

    I love the Philip Pulman books. The Subtle Knife starts so differently to Northern Lights that I was a little surprised at first, but it is a great book, I hope you really enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that star needs improved colorwork, then I need eyeglasses to see it! It's great! I loved the Subtle Knife... hope you enjoy it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the star is lovely! Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stars are quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The star is beautiful, it couldn't possibly be improved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just beautiful, i really love these stars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that star really is amazing! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete