Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Yarn Along 15

It's been a little while but today I'm again joining Ginny in her weekly Yarn Along. No, don't worry - there will be no picture of the Surya shawl today. I'm still not done with it and let me tell you, that will be one giant shawl once it's finished and blocked!
Instead I'd like to show you the first finished stripy sock. I had to rip out the cuff because the rolled cuff I knit at first looked awful and was somehow uncomfortable on the leg. Now it's a simply ribbed cuff and I'm satisfied.
Furthermore I'd like to present a little bit of Christmas knitting. There are very few people amongst my family and friends who would be pleased by a handmade gift and would honestly appreciate it and one of those people is my godmother. I'm knitting a decorative star with a teeny bit of colourwork for her. Colourwork is a huge challenge for me. I'm a very tight knitter and the fact that I'm not allowed to pull on the thread until I nearly sever my fingertip if I want to have nice, non-puckering colourwork has lead to several fits and seething anger. And to too loose stitches - because it seems I'm quite digital. It's either nice and tight and EVEN stitches or floppy wonky ugly stitches with ridiculous long floats... But I have been told that it's all about practice so I might have to do a whole jumper of colourwork to get the hang of it.
Nothing new to read this week, but next week for sure as I only have a couple of pages left of "Northern Lights".
I'm off to make some tea now so I can enjoy looking at all your nice projects properly =)

9 comments:

  1. well, from a distance your star looks perfect!! and remember blocking really does amazing things for colorwork, too!!! Lucky godmother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ich finde der Stern sieht klasse aus, da wird deine Patin sich sicher sehr darueber freuen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colourwork looks great on that star! The stripey sock is pretty adorable too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That star is very interesting! I'm finding the same quandry: very few in my family would really appreciate a handmade knitted item too. It's really too bad since I love to knit and all the colors and yarns and textures out there are gorgeous. Plus, so many pieces are useful too. Do I just make it and give the item anyway? Not sure since time to make it is so precious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the stripey socks -- are they Gryffindor colors? And lovely colorwork! I'm still scared of it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the star - I've never tried colourwork but I really should just bite the bullet... Maybe a small project like this is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so pretty, the star is amazing and will look so lovely hanging. love your sock too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The star is awesome! I'm hiding my surya, too. It's only about a 1/3 of the way done, but I am fearful of it's finished size!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great star pattern! i've added it to my queue. i think you're doing quite well with it!

    ReplyDelete