Monday, 14 November 2011

The Art of Stashing

 ... has in no way been mastered by me but as of today my stash is a lot neater and more organized. I think I might have mentioned here that I have a fairly small stash. Well, I thought it to be tiny but now that I gathered all bits and pieces of yarn from all over the flat, I stand corrected. My stash is still small, especially compared to other knitters' stashes, but it is bigger than I thought.
Although I never had problems with moths so far *frantically knocking on wood now*, I always felt a bit uneasy about my yarn and projects lying about all over the place. Not only because of possible moths feasting on the skeins but also because of sunlight, dust and what not. Dumbledore and the piggies are living in our living room and the wood chips produce a lot of dust, so it's better to cover up or stow away precious things. So a few months ago we bought a couple of transparent plastic containers (a really nice and clear plastic, not so yellow-tinged as they look in the pictures) which are simply great. But - underestimating the size of my stash - I didn't take enough. 


On Saturday we went back to the store and bought more (a lot more). They're really great for storing anything and everything and I'm quite happy with them. I wasn't so happy when I had to wash them out first because they were a bit dusty and had a layer of some weird stuff on them (probably from the manufacturing process). I dried them almost completely with a towel and let the floor heating take care of the rest of the droplets over night =)
I organized my stash roughly by colours (solids and multi-coloured separately), except for the cottons I use for dishcloths - which I threw together into a big box. I still have the very old parts of my stash packed in cardboard boxes and I think I will leave them there. It's mostly stuff from my Grandmother and it's very old and thus has this weird "old" fabric smell. If I put it together with the newer stuff then everything will smell that way before long...

I still have boxes left but you can stack them together and they don't take up a lot of space, it's so neat! Maybe I'll use them for my cross-stitching stash, that too could use a bit more neatness and safety. And Sebastian wanted to have one or the other box as well for some of his stuff.

My current projects now occupy one of the larger boxes as well. It surely is prettier to keep them in a nice basket or in a nice bag, as I did before. I had all my WIPs in a beautiful colourful bag Sebastian brought back from Peru. It's a great bag for knitting stuff but it's not very safe ^^ One day I walked to the sofa from the kitchen, carrying a mug of coffee and I tripped, pouring most of the mug's content into the bag (which was open). So I'll now use the bag to take my knitting along with me on visits or travels and keep my WIPs safely in a plastic box when I'm at home and handle beverages =) And my needles are all organized now, too! See the little box on top? Ohhh yes, this is nice.

1 comment:

  1. hello
    i have the same boxes for my wool. but not enough, i need more.
    great blog,
    regina

    ReplyDelete