Monday, 19 September 2011

Opportunities

Today I watched "Evan Almighty" on DVD. Not for the first time. I have seen this movie often, just like the prequel "Bruce Almighty". There is a lot in "Evan" that I don't like, Steve Carell does a bit too much screaming and falling down for example. And I cringe at most of the animal scenes, they may look funny but if you look closely you will see that many animals don't look that happy and from what I read about Kevin James' new movie "Zookeeper", there's often a lot of cruel business going on with animals on film sets. That's probably the main reason why I like the first "Almighty" movie better. But you just got to love Morgan Freeman as God. In my opinion he plays Him wonderfully, it just makes me happy to watch him in this role. Apart from all the funny and goofy stuff in those movies, there are certain scenes and dialogues that linger a long time after I turned off the TV. Sadly not as long as they should...

"How do you change the world? One single act of random kindness at a time."

"Let me ask you something. If one prays for patience, do you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If they pray for courage, does God give them courage, or does he give them opportunities to be courageous? If one prayed for their family to be closer, you think God zaps them with warm, fuzzy feelings? Or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"

God gives us endless opportunities to be all he wants us to be, we just have to seize them. This can be so hard and uncomfortable sometimes that we so often choose to sit on our hands and let those opportunities pass by, unseized and maybe even unnoticed. But He never said it would be easy!
And one single act of random kindness? How hard can that be?? Nobody expects us to change the world completely at once, today, all by ourselves. But one single act of random kindness, that should be possible to accomplish.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of forgetting all this. I'm accusing me. I'm accusing me for sitting on my hands so often, feeling sorry for myself and letting countless opportunities fly by, unseized. This habit ends today.

No comments:

Post a Comment