Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Yarn Along 6


Hello and welcome to another Yarn Along - as always hosted by Ginny from Small Things!
I have nothing new to read for you this week but there's a lot of knitting going on. And there will be much more new knitting soon. There will be at least 3 new projects on the needles, which makes me very excited. I love starting new things, either with new fresh yarn or with something from stash. My stash is fairly small and I intend to keep it that way. Sometimes, when I bought yarn for a specific project and it doesn't work out and has to be ripped, I immediately try to find a new project for that yarn. I could never stash huge amounts of lovely yarn for a long time, it would drive me crazy to have all those skeins lying around and not do something with them. I do have some sockyarn stashed, though. It's pretty much the only yarn I ever buy without having a pattern in mind because you only need one ball for socks and only one or two for a shawl.

I didn't really want to talk about my barely existent stash...um, where was I? Ah yes, the Yarn Along! I'm currently knitting my first mittens / gloves ever. Well, they are fingerless, but they have a thumb, with gusset and all! The pattern is "Susie's Reading Mitts" by Janelle Masters. A lot of people who knitted them talk about a choice of sizes in their project notes, I only found one size. One mitt is nearly finished, I still have to tuck in the edges to form some sort of picot edging. Please excuse the blurry picture, it's very difficult to take a shot of your own hand and arm! I cracked my neck a bit while doing this... I will show you better pictures once the mittens are finished.

The yarn was gifted to me by my Norwegian penpal Linda, who made me very happy! She gave me two skeins of this wonderful soft teal yarn and two skeins of a yummy brown lace yarn. I already have a project picked out for the lace yarn, too! At first I thought the yarn would be too busy for mittens with lacy edges because the four plies are all different shades of green and blue. But it knits up into such a wonderful colour, I'm completely over the moon with it. I have no word for that colour, it's not simply teal, it's green and blue and turquoise and just so beautiful. I named the mittens "Mermaid's Gauntlets" because the colour looks like deep and mysterious lagoon water or something like that and I figure it would be the perfect colour for a garment a mermaid would wear. As you can see from all the babbling, I'm really very excited about the colour ^^

7 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful mitts! I wanted to knit a pair last winter and never got around to it. Maybe this year!

    I lived in Munich from 1972 to 1987 (age 8 to 24). My mother was born near there. I miss Germany very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mitts are wonderful! I love the blue! PS? I have a tiny stash too... TINY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont have much of a stash either. I am afriad that my tastes will change by the time I get around to it. After my quilting phase I just wont let myself go there. I enjoy the thrill of completing a project so that I can purchase new yarn to start another. I love your mitts. Very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always buy yarn with something in mind, but I still seem to have a bit of a stash, which I don't like, so I'm trying to knit up my stash right now for the most part. The knits look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color and the mitt is just so pretty and bright! I try to keep my stash small too-doesn't always work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your going to love your fingerless mitts! They are kind of addicting to knit though...sort of like socks! :) I always try to keep my stash under control but sometimes I am bad about buying yarn for a particular project only to forget what I bought it for! So, my stash is sometimes overgrown. Or I find it so pretty that all I do is stare at it and hold it instead of knit with it. Pretty silly, huh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy you loved the yarn, and can't wait to see the finished pair.

    I wish I had a small stash, but no, my stash is about 25kg now I think...
    Really have to downsize.

    ReplyDelete