Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Yarn Along 5


Good day to you my dear readers!
I missed Ginny's Yarn Along last week =( I actually haven't posted anything since the Yarn Along two weeks ago. I had a lot of errands to run and some doctor's appointments I've been putting off for ages (nothing serious!). But this week I'm back in the saddle and would like to show you once again what I'm knitting and reading these days.

I really should be knitting on my Copper Bolero but can't seem to find motivation for that. Instead I pulled out my wonderfully red Haruni again - makes a nice change for all that sock knitting that's going on here. Please excuse the pale picture, it's so hard to capture red hues as they really look like. The yarn is actually a wonderful deep cherry red - in the picture it looks awfully pale and kind of washed out. But that's better than the tomato red that appeared in most shots I took. Many of you will know the pattern, it's quite popular - and for a good reason! "Haruni" by Emily Ross is an enchanting pattern, so pretty and very, very well written. And it's free! This time last year I was knitting feverishly on my first Haruni which was a birthday gift for my mother. I was using a dark navy sock yarn and would have been bored to death if it hadn't been for the fantastic pattern. I like most colours but navy blue really is not my cup of tea. But the pattern, lovely. It was my first serious lace project and I had no trouble with following the instructions. Except for the provisional cast-on maybe. I'm not a fan of that method and used a garter tab instead with my first Haruni.

Two weeks ago I presented Holly Black's "Tithe" to you, now I'm reading the sequel "Ironside", which is just as great. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I have to admit that I'm a sucker for pretty covers. Of course I don't buy books just because of their covers but I love when they are pretty or funky or simply unusual. And I think the illustrations on the cover should always be connected with the actual content of the book. Needless to say, this edition of "Ironside" pleases me in every way!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I like both your bolero and haruni! I'm a sucker for red ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for a pretty book cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not knitted up the haruni.....I think I have to now! Love the red :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i read those books and really enjoyed them as well! and i love that red haruni - can't wait to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Haruni. Great red--glad it's a cherry, more than a tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valiant is another book by Holly Black. Technically it comes between Tithe and Ironside. All are very, very good books. I can't wait to share them with my oldest son - he's still a little young for them but he loved the Spiderwick series that she wrote with Tony DiTerlizzi.

    ReplyDelete