Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Yarn Along 4


Hello there!
Another Wednesday, another Yarn Along with Ginny, hooray =) The first Mermaidia sock is nearly finished (I haven't decided what bind-off I want to do this time) and I casted on for more socks already as the 2,5 mm needle was finally free. Well, so was the 2,75 mm needle. In my unstoppable enthusiasm to start a new project I pulled the wrong needle out of my ever growing heap of knitting projects and balls of yarn and started knitting with the 2,75 mm needle instead of the 2,5 mm needle. Usually I keep my needles in their original packaging so as to avoid situations like these but that day for some reason I had needles all over the place. I was half done with the first sock and was silently wondering why the stitches were so loose and stretchy (I'm such a tight knitter, this almost never happens). Then I spotted another needle poking out from under a heap of printed patterns, current projects, etc. that surround me on the couch. While the penny was dropping and exasperation was sinking in I closed my eyes and took a deep breath and then started ripping the sock apart. Without complaint! I really shouldn't cast on anything new late at night, with tired eyes and half-asleep brain.
Anyhow, the new sock project is "Jeck" by Regina Satta, a pattern I've knit before and found to be a very welcome alternative to plain stockinette or ribbing. Sadly the yarn doesn't bring out the pattern, although it changes colours in solid stripes. I'm not so fond of the colour combination but the yarn is very soft and it was a birthday present. The person who gave it to me is asking frequently if I already started to knit with the yarn and I don't want to disappoint people who are so nice to give me yarn for my birthday =)

I'm still reading "Dragonfly in Amber" but I'm treating books as I'm treating knitting projects: The more the merrier and gladly at the same time. I'm once again reading "Tithe" by Holly Black, one of my all time favourites - and the sequel "Ironside". I love those books so much that I pull them from the shelf every few months. They're fairly thin, so I'm not really neglecting any other current reading projects. At first I read "Tithe" in German but ordered the original version when I ordered "Ironside". Although the German translation of "Tithe" is good, I was surprised to find that some things were left out. Sometimes it's only a sentence but there is a particular scene where a big chunk didn't find its way into the translated version. I think it might have been too violent for the designated age group, I don't know. It's not that important for the progress of the story but if you know the book by heart as I do, you can't not notice. So, if you love all things faerie and especially when they get woven into the modern world you should really check this one out. And for those of you who don't mind a bit of drooling while reading: The male elfin protagonist alone is worth the read.

8 comments:

  1. I love your Mermaidia socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I grab the wrong needle, too. Sorry you have to frog it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put "Jeck" in my queue on Ravelry, thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. off to check out that pattern on Ravelry! Love your mermaidia too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I got needles muddled up recently. So annoying. In my case it didn't matter too much, so I ploughed on. Socks are another matter. I'm sure the pattern will grow on you, even if it is not the one you were expecting. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "needles all over the place"-that made me smile. Your socks are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it is good to humor those who are wise enough to gift yarn! The book certainly sounds interesting....the thin part might make it doable, as I seem to be low on reading time these days...I love German villages! My mom is from Germany, and I used to love visiting Opa in Grotenrath near Geilenkirchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often have needles all over the place! So confusing. They should be colour coded. Thanks for your kind words about my crazy pirate cake. Arrr!

    ReplyDelete