Wednesday, 15 June 2011

Yarn Along

This week I'm participating for the first time in Ginny's Yarn Along and I'm excited!
I finished the first sock of Sebastian's Camouflage Anklets a while ago and just couldn't find the motivation to cast on for the second sock. Although the yarn is lovely to knit with and I'm always happy to be able to knit something for him, it's a bit of a boring knitting project. The guy has freakishly huge feet and it's a simple stockinette / ribbing pattern *yawn*. At least they're only anklets so it will go faster than normal socks. AND I only have one 2,5 mm circular needle and I want to knit myself a new pair of socks soon, so I need that needle! But I have to say, it's nice to have a rather mindless knitting project from time to time. It's easier to take along and to knit on while watching TV.

I'm always reading several books at the same time (well, not exactly at the same time, but you know what I mean) and focus on the book that I like best at that day, that hour, that meal, whatever. For the last couple of days I've been reading only one book, the German edition of "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. The German title is "Feuer und Stein" - "Fire and Stone". It's the first book of the Outlander series and I'm reading it for the second time now. I've read the first half of the second book immediately after reading the first book for the first time but for some reason didn't finish it. It's been a few years so I decided to start at the beginning again. I usually don't like to read the translation of books but I have the first three books of the series in German and just can't stand to leave them untouched and buy the original versions, it seems like such a waste. But I might change my mind soon because I often catch myself rolling my eyes because of a particularly weird sentence. Some things just can't be translated and while some translators try to find adequate or similar expressions, others try to stick to the original as closely as possible. Both methods can either work very well or ruin the whole atmosphere by making it sound quirky and ridiculous.
Nevertheless it's a great book, always sounding highly authentic (to me at least), it's very addictive and quite steamy sometimes but never in a gross way.

8 comments:

  1. I have had second sock syndrome with my socks too and really need to cast on the second one, but wool in this heat just isn't working for me!
    Glad you like the books, I will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to yarn along!! It's a pretty close knit group (no pun intended) and always love to meet new joiners:). I love the yarn you are using on your socks! And I hear you on the pairs thing, but mindless is good sometimes :). Happy Yarn along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Yarn Along!

    I love the mindless knitting of a plain sock, too. I always seem to suffer from Second Sock Syndrome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Outlander last year for the first time, what a fun read! I haven't read the rest though, are they good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich bin von den Diana Gabaldon Buechern auch ganz begeistert. Mittlerweile habe ich 5 davon gelesen und das 6. liegt schon hier und wartet darauf angefangen zu werden. Bin mal gespannt wie die Socken aussehen.
    Liebe Gruesse aus Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your socks! I think I will be starting a pair soon, I keep seeing them on this yarn along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have first sock syndrome (rather than second sock)...I have yet to start my first pair! Good luck on making the mate to your lovely anklet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so very nice to meet you, friend! You are beautiful and so talented:) I look forward to following your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete