Monday, 5 April 2010

Happy Easter!

I wish you all a Happy Easter, or whatever you are celebrating this time of year. We had a rainy day yesterday, but today the sun is poking out and it feels like spring.
I mostly decorate the house for every season, not for a special holiday or celebration except for Christmas, and I've never been much into the whole colourful egg business. But this year, I arranged some hazelnut brances in a brown jug and actually painted some eggs. When I was a child, we used to draw on eggs with felt-tip pens. I wasn't good at drawing back then and I'm even more awful at it today. So I blew some eggs and applied a ground coat of an acrylic paint (some eggs needed 2 or even 3 coats).

getting started

applying ground coat

When the paint was completely dry, I applied illustrations of animals and plants via paper napkin decoupage or simply polka-dotted the eggs:




I let the applied items dry properly before glossing over the whole egg with a silk-mat varnish, let it dry once more, attached a thread to the eggs (by tying thread to a match and poking it through the hole on the top) and hung them on the hazelnut branches:



I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

3 comments: