Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Where dwell the brave at heart...


As a fierce fan of the Harry Potter series I surely needed a House scarf. But as the ones you can buy are mostly made of a polyacrylic yarn, I decided to knit one myself. Remembering the pre-scarf-knitting-disasters, I was a bit anxious but went looking for a suitable yarn nonetheless.
I always liked Ravenclaw, but couldn't find suitable colours. I like Gryffindor just as much, so scarlet and gold were fine for me. Regarding my latest exam results, Gryffindor indeed was the better choice. You'd probably find me sitting in front of the door leading to Ravenclaw tower, not being able to answer the question...
Brave at heart...yeah, well... But look at those pretty colours!!

Anyway, I knitted the scarf in a 100 % soft merino wool, mad
e it really long and also put fringes on it. I didn't use a pattern, I just decided on how wide the stripes should be and began. It did not work out at the first try, the end and the sides were rolling themselves up and I knitted too tightly.

A few months later I got Alison Hansel's adorable book "Charmed Knits" and could have knitted every model straight away, they're all gorgeous. As I live in Germany, it is quite difficult to get a hold of most of the yarns used in the book. So I started by knitting a Gryffindor beret with the same yarn I used for the scarf. The instructions were easy to follow and it was a joy to knit. In the end I added a pompon:



As you can see, I'm extremely happy
with the result =)




2 comments:

  1. You are the absolute cutest thing! Sorry about that math test, I've NEVER been any good at math and math tests were major things of anxiety for me. Love the cute bunnies!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that's so nice!! =)
    I study maths very involuntarily, unfortunately it is a (minor) part of my study program so I have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete